The term blackout means a power outage where there is no supply of electricity to a part of the Power system. It is a complete interruption of power in a given area. These occur without any warning and last for long periods and are typically caused due to equipment failure or many other reasons as well. One of the reasons can be a lack of safety measures and Proper maintenance of Equipment like Power Transformers.
Power transformers are an expensive and important part of Power grids. To get optimal performance and increased product life, it is best to conduct regular maintenance on your machinery. We are going to discuss about one such reason that is Maintenance of Power Transformers
There are basically two types of transformer maintenance. One is done on a regular basis & other is done at a time of urgency. If maintenance checkups are done on a routine basis then you may not have to undergo breakdown maintenance hence saving downtime.
There are a lot of different types of maintenance checks to be conducted on a power transformer. There are some of the Important transformers maintenance actions that have to be performed:
Daily Basis Maintenance Testing and Checking
Here are maintenance tests you should run on your transformer on a daily basis:
- Oil levels of Magnetic Oil Gauge of the main tank and conservator tank. Always maintain to keep oil filled up to the desired level in MOG (Magnetic Oil Gauge).
- Replace the silica gel if its color is going to change into pink.
- Observe the values of winding temperature, and oil temperature and also check if there is any malfunction in meters.
- Also, keep a check on the voltages in all the 3 phases.
Transformer Maintenance Checks on a Monthly Basis
- The oil level in the oil cap must be checked on a monthly basis so that it doesn’t drop below a fixed limit and hence avoid damage due to it.
- Keep the breathing holes in the silica gel breather clean to ensure good breathing action at all times.
- If your electrical transformer has an oil-filling bushing, make sure that the oil is filled up to the correct level.
- If any leakages are observed, the leak should be arrested immediately to prevent loss of oil and damage to the transformer.
Annual Transformer Maintenance Schedule
The oil pumps and air fans along with other items that are used to cool down a transformer & control circuit must be inspected yearly.
- Make sure that you clean all the bushings of your electrical transformer with only soft cotton cloth yearly.
- The oil condition of OLTC should be carefully examined on an annual basis. For that take an oil sample from the drain valve and test it for moisture content (PPM) and dielectric strength (BDV). If the PPM value high and the BDV value is found low, then the oil needs to be replaced.
- Make sure to clean out the inside of all of the marshaling boxes annually. Check the proper functioning of the space and illumination heaters. All terminal connections of control and relay wiring need to be tightened at least once in a year.
- All the control switches, alarms, relays along with their circuits, Remote Tap Changer Control Panel, and Relay and Control Panel have to be cleaned with a proper cleaning agent.
- For Example all the pockets for the Temperature Indicator and Oil Temperature Indicator. if they have the important level of oil and make sure to top it up if required.
- The proper function of Buchholz and Pressure Release Device relay need to be checked on a yearly basis.
- Make sure to measure the resistive value of earth connection and rizer should be measured yearly with a clamp on the earth resistance meter.
Transformer Maintenance on a Half-Yearly Basis
Your electrical transformer to be checked every 6 months for IFT, DDA, flash point, sludge content, acidity, water content, and dielectric strength.
Performing all the above Maintenance measures, we can avoid failure of major equipment i.e Power transformer, and can avoid blackouts.
Related Link: What Is A Power Transformer And How Does It Work?